|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Today: What just happened to Facebook and Instagram?
• What Happened to Facebook, Instagram, & WhatsApp? by Brian Krebs, today, October 4: "Facebook and its sister properties Instagram and WhatsApp are suffering from ongoing, global outages. We don’t yet know why this happened, but the how is clear: Earlier this morning, something inside Facebook caused the company to revoke key digital records that tell computers and other Internet-enabled devices how to find these destinations online."
"... The outages come just hours after CBS’s 60 Minutes aired a much-anticipated interview with Frances Haugen, the Facebook whistleblower who recently leaked a number of internal Facebook investigations showing the company knew its products were causing mass harm, and that it prioritized profits over taking bolder steps to curtail abuse on its platform — including disinformation and hate speech."
• Facebook and all of its apps go down simultaneously (Mike Isaac and Sheera Frenkel at the NYT, Oct 4, 2021): "Facebook has dispatched a small team to one of its California data centers to try and manually reset its servers in an attempt to fix the problem."
• Ed Snowden posts: "Facebook and Instagram go mysteriously offline and, for one shining day, the world becomes a healthier place."
• Facebook Whistleblower Frances Haugen: The 60 Minutes Interview (excerpted on toxic YouTube, Oct 3, 2021)
• Transcript of 60 Minutes interview
• As I just posted: Now is an excellent time to email your local authorities, school, camp, church, soccer league, whatever - and tell them: "Please stop posting your updates on Facebook and Instagram, which are liable to disappear. Instead, use a website on the open web, and email updates."
• Voice surveillance must die (by Mark Hurst, Sept 30, 2021): more thoughts based on the book featured in last week's show.
• Also to discuss:
- DNS and why facebook.com is for sale
- your calls
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|The Facebook outage: what just happened? And what should we do next?|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Your calls and comments 201-209-9368||0:37:33 (MP3 | Pop-up)|