|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: Gizmodo's Shoshana Wodinsky
Spotify is following the playbook of Facebook and Google to become the next Big Tech monopoly. What is Spotify doing with our data?
Links to Shoshana Wodinsky:
• About Shoshana Wodinsky, staff reporter at Gizmodo covering consumer privacy and tech policy
• On Twitter: @swodinsky
• Spotify's Latest Acquisition Is All About Your Data (by Wodinsky in Gizmodo, Nov 10, 2020): "The Megaphone acquisition clarifies how to think about Spotify overall: It's quickly becoming an advertising behemoth - less the Netflix of audio and much more akin to Facebook or Google for your ears."
• Spotify's Weird LinkedIn Playlists Sound Like a Cash Register (by Wodinsky in Gizmodo, March 5, 2020): "Spotify has slowly morphed its playlists into data-mining machines. . . . I'm giving the company not only my emotional state but also my entire schedule."
• Your Weather App Is Selling You Out (by Wodinsky in Gizmodo, Sep 14, 2020): "It's not just about tracking the weather, but tracking the way it's impacting our collective moods as a whole."
• Please Keep Mark Zuckerberg Away From My Bones (by Wodinsky in Gizmodo, Aug 18, 2020), which prompted me to write Facebook and your bones (Aug 20).
• More Gizmodo articles by Shoshana
|Artist||Track||Album||Images||Approx. start time|
|Gizmodo's Shoshana Wodinsky discusses Spotify, and what it's doing with our data.|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack||0:00:27 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's intro||0:01:07 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Interview with Shoshana Wodinsky||0:11:40 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments after the interview||0:43:41 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|The Pocket Gods||We're All No Hit Wonders Now||100mostXcellent30||0:53:38 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|The Pocket Gods||YouTube Is Fleecing You||100mostXcellent30||0:54:05 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|The Pocket Gods||Nobody Makes Money Any More||100mostXcellent30||0:54:50 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Negativland||More Data||The World Will Decide||0:57:05 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|