|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
Tonight: William Deresiewicz, author, "The Death of the Artist"
• The Death of the Artist: How Creators Are Struggling to Survive in the Age of Billionaires and Big Tech, by Bill Deresiewicz
• @WDeresiewicz (Bill Deresiewicz on Twitter)
• billderesiewicz.com (website)
• Spotify Celebrates 100th Dollar Given To Artists (The Onion, Sep 3, 2020): "Spotify CEO Daniel Ek, posing with a giant check for a $0.00000029 payout that propelled the world's musicians past a collective $100 in earnings. 'This is an absolute milestone for a musician-oriented platform like Spotify, and confirms what we believed when we started, which is that music-streaming platforms can be a reliable way to help bands and artists earn pennies or even nickels for their work. But this achievement is really about the artists on our platform. Spotify couldn't have done it without you.'"
• Spotify to offer artists and labels the option to promote their music in your recommendations (The Fader, Nov 2, 2020): "In exchange for a lowered 'promotional recording royalty rate.'"
- - -
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic interviews and Little Slice of Tech Pie segments.
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Album||Images||Approx. start time|
|William Deresiewicz talks about his book "The Death of the Artist."|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune||Machinarium Soundtrack|
|Interview with Bill Deresiewicz||0:12:14 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|Mark's comments after the interview||0:53:43 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|
|The Pink Tiles||Internet||0:56:48 (MP3 | Pop‑up)|