|View Mark Hurst's profile|
Conversations with creators and thinkers who are charting the way forward in a tech-saturated society. Tech, community, video games, and whatever else is next.
April 5, 2021: Tim Harford, author, "The Data Detective"
Listen to this show: Pop-up player!
Tonight: Tim Harford, author, "The Data Detective"
• The Data Detective: Ten Easy Rules to Make Sense of Statistics, by Tim Harford (published in the UK as How to Make the World Add Up: Ten Rules for Thinking Differently About Numbers)
• timharford.com, Tim's official website
• Cautionary Tales, Tim's podcast
• Interview of Tim Harford, on Numberphile, about the statistics of storks and babies
• From Hannah Ritchie, recommended books on statistics, including Tim's book
• The Decisions We Made: Looking back at what made The COVID Tracking Project work (by Erin Kissane, March 31, 2021): "A lot of our research and context work was about trying to find out what the numbers states published actually represented."
• Google Is Testing Its Controversial New Ad Targeting Tech in Millions of Browsers (EFF, March 30, 2021): "A switch has silently been flipped in millions of instances of Google Chrome: those browsers will begin sorting their users into groups based on behavior, then sharing group labels with third-party trackers and advertisers around the web. . . . FLoC is a terrible idea. Google's launch of this trial - without notice to the individuals who will be part of the test, much less their consent - is a concrete breach of user trust in service of a technology that should not exist."
• 533 million Facebook users' phone numbers and personal data have been leaked online (Business Insider, April 3, 2021). And from Axios today: "A leaker said Saturday they were making public personal information on 533 million Facebook users, including phone numbers, locations, birth dates and other data. ... The leak includes data from 32 million users in the U.S., 11 million users in the U.K., and 6 million users in India. The leaked data contains phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birth dates, bios and email addresses. It does not contain password information."
- - -
PAST EPISODES: techtonic.fm lists recent Techtonic shows
PODCAST: Subscribe to the Techtonic podcast
|Artist||Track||Images||Approx. start time|
|Tim Harford discusses his new book, "The Data Detective."|
|Tomaš Dvořák||Game Boy Tune|
|Interview with Tim Harford||0:07:10 (Pop-up)|
|Mark's comments||0:45:06 (Pop-up)|
|Buffalo MC||Stop and Bust a Move||0:55:51 (Pop-up)|